Monday, September 10, 2012

What if the World Weekly News had made it to the web? (Video)

Not all your "great ideas" come to fruition - at least in terms of selling them for real money. Several years ago I had the idea that the now-defunct World Weekly News could be turned into pretty compelling video content - and I set out to prove that idea. I contacted the nice folks (an investment firm, it turns out) who owned the remains of the World Weekly News and asked them if they'd be interested in tossing some ideas around - they said "Yes" and I booked a flight to New York.

Of course, only an idiot would go into a meeting empty handed, so I borrowed an HD camera (now we have a bunch of them) set up the green green-screen and rolled some tape. I edited up the following demo of the World Weekly News using some local talent and some late-night candles.



Long story even longer, they thought the video was very funny (I took many of the titles and graphics from publicly available archives of past publications) BUT simply generating a boatload of views on YouTube wasn't what they had in mind as a business plan. So, thanks - but no thanks.

Anyway, I ran into this clip a few days back and thought the rest of the world could use a chuckle and considering the World Weekly News website says (and has said for quite some time now) "Thanks & Goodbye!" I don't really feel like I'm messing with anybody's income in terms of copy written materials. (That being said, if anybody out there in webland objects to the posting of this, let me know and I'll take it down. Don't call the lawyers, OK?)

No comments:

Post a Comment